Jeffrey L. Gingold
GINGOLD LAW FIRM, PLLC
400 Harborview Drive SE
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110-2467
(206) 451-4665 (o)
(206) 618-2200 (c)
Jeff Gingold is a business and regulatory attorney with extensive insurance industry experience. His practice focus is in health care and insurance regulation. Clients represented span a broad spectrum of international, national, regional and local healthcare and insurance industry organizations in all insured and self-funded lines, including carriers, producers, administrators, business organizations, associations and member-governed groups.
Following a successful 4 year career as a criminal trial lawyer with the Office of Public Defender in Newark, N.J., Jeff turned to multi-line insurance and health care in 1981. For the next 13 years, Jeff served as in-house legal counsel to 3 different international and regional insurance and health care organizations based in the West. After helping establish a U.S. law department at Colorado headquarters of a well-known Canadian-based life and annuity company doing business throughout the U.S., Jeff was hired as General Counsel by one of the Pacific Northwest’s largest health carriers in 1987 at the age of 39. During his 7 years as GC, Jeff also served as the head of government and regulatory relations, public affairs, federal programs, and was the company spokesperson in addressing health reform issues on television and radio programs, before editorial boards, and in town hall meetings throughout Washington and Alaska. This experience provided invaluable understanding of what industry clients expect from outside counsel, what business people expect of lawyers, and how to work effectively with teams of diverse professionals in situations that carry potentially significant public relations consequences. In 1994, Jeff became a partner in one of the Pacific Northwest’s oldest and most prestigious law firms, serving as chair of its healthcare practice group.
Jeff Gingold has helped many clients in “bet the farm” situations, and received the Puget Sound Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America’s presitigous Totem Award for crisis management in one such situation. In 2012, he established Gingold Law Firm where he continues his practice focus.
Having extensive industry experience since 1981 in a broad range of regulatory and transactional matters, Jeff Gingold has counseled and represented clients seeking to establish or expand their operations in Washington through registration, acquisition and affiliation including Holding Company Act compliance where applicable. He also has worked with well-known national clients withdrawing from the Washington market, selling their Washington entities, and surrendering related licenses and registrations. Jeff has served as local co-counsel with national and regional law firms in addressing diverse Washington regulatory matters including investigations, examinations, enforcement, public records, and filing issues.
He is licensed to practice law in state and federal courts in Washington, Colorado and New Jersey, and before the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Peer Review Rated “AV” in Martindale-Hubbell
- Lane Powell PC, Partner/Shareholder (1994-2012)
- Blue Cross of Washington and Alaska
- Senior-Vice President (1992-1994)
- General Counsel (1987-1994)
- Corporate Secretary (1987-1994)
- The Great-West Life Assurance Company, Assistant Vice President and Counsel (1983-1987)
- National Farmers Union Insurance Companies, Attorney (1981-1983)
- New Jersey Office of Public Defender Essex Trial Region, Senior Trial Attorney (1977-1981)
- Superior Court of New Jersey, Honorable Julius A. Feinberg, Law Clerk (1976-1977)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. in International Law, 1979)
- The John Marshall Law School (J.D., 1976)
- Washington and Lee University (B.A., 1971)
Board of Directors Service
- Chair, Foundation for Health Care Quality, Seattle, WA. (2007 – present).
- Association of Washington Business, Olympia, WA (1993 – present).
- Washington State Health Insurance Partnership (2007 – 2010).
Awards and Honors
- S. Fred Bruhn Award, Association of Washington Business (2010)
- Heavy Lifter Award, Association of Washington Business (2004, 1999)
- Totem Award, Puget Sound Chapter of Public Relations Society of America (1996)
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- The Association of Life Insurance Counsel
- National Health Lawyers Association
- Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- “Health Care Replay? Events This Year Could Send Reforms Back to the Drawing Board,” Seattle Business magazine (January 2012)
- “Island Resident Steps Into the World of an Agent,” Bainbridge Island Review, Quoted (December 23, 2010)
- “Limited Government Involvement: A Better Cure for What Ails Health Care,” Washington Business (Summer 2009)
- “Health Care Commitments and Realities — Facing a Difficult Economy, President Obama Will Find Health Reform a Challenging Promise to Keep,” Seattle Business magazine (February 2009)
- Association of Washington Business Policy Summit, Chair (September 21-23, 2010)
- Healthcare Reform Panel, AWB Policy Summit, Moderator (September 22, 2010)
- “Making Sense of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act,” Association of Washington Business Spring Meeting, Panelist (May 11, 2010).
- Washington Health Services Commission “Stakeholders’ Advisory Committee” (1994)
- Governor’s Transitional Task Force for Health Care Reform (1992-93)
- Northwest Danish Foundation (former board member).
- Danish Club (former board member).
- Alliance for Health Care Reform (1992-93)
- University of Denver Law School Corporate Counsel Internship Program, Instructor (1983-1987)
Activities Outside the Practice of Law
- FIFA Players’ Agent Licensed by the United States Soccer Federation
- Player, Red Zingers over 50 soccer club, Greater Seattle Soccer League
- Player, Bainbridge United over 55 soccer club, Greater Seattle Soccer League
- Distance runner, completed 11 marathons.